Fri. Aug 21st, 2026

Six foreigners detained as gov’t intensifies crackdown on illegal mining

August 21, 2026

Six foreign nationals, including Brazilians and a Chinese national, have been detained after authorities discovered them conducting an unauthorised underground mining operation, as the government continues its nationwide crackdown on illegal and non-compliant mining.

The Ministry of Natural Resources said the individuals were detained on August 20 through a joint operation involving the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission’s Corps of Wardens and the Guyana Police Force.

Authorities discovered the individuals carrying out underground mining through a shaft without the required regulatory approval. They were taken into police custody as investigations continue.

The latest enforcement action comes amid a zero-tolerance campaign ordered by President Dr Irfaan Ali against illegal mining, gold smuggling, environmental violations and operators who fail to comply with the country’s mining laws.

In January, President Ali ordered authorities to take immediate action against non-compliant miners, including deregistering dredges that failed to declare gold production. He also directed that foreign nationals found mining illegally in Guyana be identified and dealt with in accordance with the law.

The president has repeatedly maintained that while his government remains committed to supporting and expanding the mining industry, operators must comply with the law and meet their obligations to the state.

The tougher enforcement drive has already resulted in arrests, prosecutions and the shutdown of illegal operations across several mining districts. Earlier this year, the Ministry of Natural Resources reported that dozens of people had been brought before the courts for illegal mining offences as authorities stepped up monitoring and inspections.

Natural Resources Minister Vickram Bharrat has also warned that the government will not tolerate operators who disregard Guyana’s mining laws.

Bharrat has said illegal mining undermines the country’s laws, threatens its natural resources and disadvantages miners and operators who comply with regulatory requirements. He has repeatedly warned that those who engage in illegal mining will face enforcement action.

Natural Resources Minister Vickram Bharrat

The government’s enforcement campaign has also targeted environmental breaches, illegal occupation of mining properties and operations being conducted without the necessary licences or permissions.

Earlier this year, GGMC and police carried out enforcement operations against illegal mining sites in Region Seven, including operations involving foreign nationals. Authorities have also increased monitoring in mining districts as part of efforts to protect the environment and strengthen compliance across the sector.

The government has maintained that the crackdown is intended not only to punish offenders but also to protect legitimate miners, prevent environmental degradation and ensure that Guyana receives the revenue due from its mineral resources.

The Ministry of Natural Resources said all mining districts remain under surveillance as part of sustained efforts to detect and dismantle illegal operations.

It warned that the law applies equally to Guyanese and foreign nationals and that anyone found conducting mining activities in breach of Guyana’s laws and regulations will face the full force of the law.

The ministry reminded miners and operators that the necessary licences, permissions and regulatory approvals must be secured before any mining activity begins.

Compliance with Guyana’s mining laws is mandatory, the ministry said, and violations will be dealt with in accordance with the law.